KU Advisor of the Year Award
The purpose of this award is to recognize a KU academic advisor who has demonstrated the qualities representative of outstanding undergraduate student advising.
A selection committee of students, faculty, and staff will evaluate nominations on the evidence of effective advising qualities and practices that distinguish the nominee as an outstanding advisor. Such evidence may include the following areas of merit, but is not necessarily limited to the following:
- Dedication, advocacy, and/or interest in student success
- Adaptability to circumstances and creative problem solving ability
- Interpersonal skills
- Professional development
- Inclusiveness and leadership
- Occupational knowledge, use of technology and advising tools
- Commitment to advocacy for students
- Fostering academic excellence through campus and community engagement
- Cultural competency and/or dedication to diversity, equity, and inclusion
- Special service to fellow employees or the community (university or community at large)
- Additional areas of merit not mentioned above
The nominee must be involved in the direct delivery of advising services as part of their job responsibilities to KU undergraduate students.
Each nomination packet must include at least one letter of support (but not more than three) detailing the ways in which the nominee meets the award criteria. Letters of support must include:
- First and last name of the Nominator
- Contact information for the Nominator
- Nominator relationship to the Nominee
- Nominee first and last name
- Nominee contact information
- Nominee’s affiliated advising unit (e.g. UAC, Business, CLAS, Education)
Completed nomination packets can be emailed or delivered in person to the Office of Undergraduate Studies in Strong Hall room 156, firstname.lastname@example.org. Nominations are due by 5:00 p.m. on Friday, March 17, 2017. Late or incomplete nominations will not be considered for review.
If you would like help initiating a nomination or with letters of support, contact Jasmine Moore, Executive Assistant for Undergraduate Studies at email@example.com
Nominations will be solicited beginning in February and are due by 5:00 p.m. on Friday, March 17, 2017. The nominees will be invited to attend to Advisor of the Year Award Ceremony on Monday, May 8, 2017 from 3:00-5:00 p.m. in the Kansas Union Ballroom. The nominees and award winner will be recognized at the event.
Five outside reviewers constitute the selection committee, which can include current KU students, faculty, retired advisors, retired faculty, and administrators.
The Academic Advisor of the Year Award is coordinated and sponsored by the KU Advising Network (KUAN) Awards Committee, the Undergraduate Advising Executive Committee (UAEC), and the Office of Undergraduate Studies.