KU Advisor of the Year Award
The purpose of this award is to recognize a KU academic advisor who has demonstrated the qualities representative of outstanding undergraduate student advising.
Nominees must be full-time KU employees who spend at least 50% of their time on direct delivery of advising to undergraduate students.
The award recipient will also be nominated for the NACADA Global Outstanding Advising Award.
Evidence of Outstanding Advising
A selection committee of students, faculty, and staff will evaluate nominations on the evidence of effective advising qualities and practices that distinguish the nominee as an outstanding advisor. Such evidence should include (but is not limited to) the following attributes:
- Care, helpfulness, and/or positivity when working with others
- Fostering an inclusive environment
- Availability or frequency of contact with advisees, faculty or staff
- Monitoring of student progress toward academic and career goals above and beyond basic responsibilities
- Engagement and promotion of a particular advising style or model (e.g. developmental, appreciative)
- Evidence of advising that supports NACADA’s core values and/or the CAS Standards and Guidelines for Academic Advising
- Expertise or role model in supporting a specific population of students
- Service to the advising or campus community
- Participation in and support of advisor development programs
- Mastery of institutional regulations, policies and procedures
Nominations should be submitted electronically and must include at least one letter of recommendation and can include up to three. Please only submit a complete nomination packet - do not submit the nomination until you have all anticipated letters ready for electronic submission. Please review the Letter Writing Best Practices section prior to submitting a nomination.
Nominations are due by 5:00 p.m. on Friday, March 16, 2018. Late or incomplete nominations will not be considered for review.
Nominations are now being accepted and are due by 5:00 p.m. on Friday, March 16, 2018. The nominees will be invited to attend to Advisor of the Year Award Ceremony on Monday, May 7, 2018 from 3:00-4:00 p.m. in the Kansas Union Ballroom. The nominees and award winner will be recognized at the event.
Five outside reviewers constitute the selection committee, which can include current KU students, faculty, retired advisors, retired faculty, and administrators.
The Academic Advisor of the Year Award is coordinated and sponsored by the KU Advising Network (KUAN) and the Office of Undergraduate Studies.
If you would like help initiating a nomination or have questions, contact Sean Navarro at email@example.com.
The nomination period has closed. An award ceremony to recognize the winner and nominees will be held on May 7, 2018. Please check back in February 2019 to nominate an advisor for next year's award.
You will need to use your KU Online ID and password to access the nomination form.